Thursday, January 12, 2012

Grocery List - Vegetables

I am terrible about eating all of my vegetables. Growing up, the only servings of vegetables I got were in the form of pizza sauce or taco lettuce. Ever since I met my wife, she's been trying to get me on the right track.  If there is one thing I have learned in my research on nutrition, you should definitely consume more veggies than any other type of food. 


I am dividing my list into what I think is safe to eat non-organic and what should be bought organic. Vegetables in the organic list have been known to be covered in pesticides. I have alphabetized them to make the list a little easier to use. Vegetables especially high in pesticides have asterisks * next to them.  I would avoid the non-organic/conventional types of these asterisked veggies at all costs. The more asterisks, the worse. I hope this list helps and remember to keep eating your veggies!


Vegetables to Buy Non-Organic/Conventional
Asparagus
Avocados
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Corn, sweet (buy local)
Eggplant
Garlic
Okra
Onions
Radishes
Rhubarb
Sweet Potatoes
Tomatoes (buy local)
Winter Squash (if you don't eat the skin)
Zucchini


Vegetables to Buy Organic
Beets*
Bell Pepper**
Carrots*** (carrots are sometimes grown just to absorb heavy metals from soil)
Cauliflower
Celery*** (generally most pesticides of any other conventional vegetable)
Collard Greens
Cucumbers**
Green Beans*
Kale
Lettuce
Mushrooms (not a veggie, but you will probably find these in the vegetable aisle)
Pepper
Potatoes
Spinach*
Summer Squash
Winter Squash (if you eat the skin)


* Vegetables high in pesticides, heavy metals, and other contaminants
** Vegetables very high in pesticides, heavy metals, and other contaminants
*** Vegetables extremely high in pesticides, heavy metals, and other contaminants


If I'm missing any veggies from the list, let us know!



No comments:

Post a Comment